What Exactly is Wife Material?
Stop me if you’ve heard this before. Man meets woman. They fall in love. They move in together. They pick drapes and plates. They get engaged. She’s thrilled and he’s just ok. They are still engaged. Still engaged. Still engaged. Still engaged. Man calls off engagement and leaves woman and all she has left is ugly drapes and brittle plates. Man finds new girlfriend, impregnate her and marries her right away.
This scenario plays itself out all the time. To the great pain and mental detriment of women the world over, men seem to be leaving seemingly happy and ‘perfect’ existences in favor of other pastures. Often time the women that the men were with initially are decidedly more attractive. So what gives? What makes a woman more desirable than another? Are men actually shallow creatures? What exactly is wife material?
A few answers can be found by looking at the studies of scientists and sociologists. In a British study 3,500 men were asked about their fiancée only 20% used words such as ‘sexy’ or ‘gorgeous’. The others focussed on their girlfriend’s personalities. This suggests, that by and large, that a woman who is naturally beautiful is at a distinct and quite measurable disadvantage when it comes to marriageability. Men seemingly prefer substance over status when it comes to marriage and the women they prefer to have children with.
Further evidence can be seen through studies about choosing a mate. Women seem to base their decisions on a mate on a loss vs reward threshold. Women, according to the study, choose a man based on his looks, next to her looks and the chances that she can lose him to another woman. So a man must fit between a tolerable high/low scale to even have a chance. A man, on the other hand, has a broader range. He is more likely to date or mate with less desirable and less attractive women. It is proven that during dating cycles men care more about a woman’s face, but her body type is more important when it comes to marriage. So all of you women who are searching for a husband better throw away that M.A.C. makeup and pick up a taebo class or two.
Polling the men who work with me I found five universal traits that men are looking for:
- Can You Burn? Yes this is 2012 before you say anything. Men do still expect a woman to perform traditional duties such as cook. Most men have ben pampered by the women in their lives so a woman who can’t or won’t cook is at a distinct disadvantage when encountering a man like this.
- Do You Like Family? Men do not want to bring women into their lives who are going to cause friction with his own family. Equally troubling are women with daddy/mommy issues who are estranged from or engaged in battle with her own family. Men want a seamless transition whenever it is time to blend the groups. Also, men want their own family; a drama free, and happy family.
- Are You a Go Getter? Do yo want things out of life or are you happy with the level you are at now? If you have no goals, then how can you dream with your man? Real men do not want to be babysitters or dads to their girlfriends.
- Do You Upgrade Me? Being equally yoked is important. Being equally invested in the overall happiness, direction, and health of the relationship is important. You love him and he will love you back.
- Will You Age Like Wine or Vinegar? Do you have that ‘everything’ for all time’ quality? Is this love or lust? Can I see us rocking on the porch drinking ice tea when we are old? Are you graceful? This part you can not fake. It will be obvious to both of you.
There are no sure-fire ways to get and keep a man. Ultimately if he is going to stay he is going to stay. Knowing the secrets will give you an advantage over your competition. Men are seemingly simple creatures, but inside stirs a lot of emotion. It is up to you to make him want you. Afterall, we don’t know better.